Wednesday, May 16th is National Flash Fiction Day . Flash fiction is also referred to as micro-fiction or sudden fiction or short-short stories. It consists of a beginning, a middle, and an end with character development and descriptions, all within 150 to 500 words. The story must have structure, plot, point, and dialogue.
How can writing flash fiction help us become better writers? Flash fiction banks on action and an active voice. Avoid passive voice; have the action immediate and now. Adjectives and adverbs need to be banished from the page. Be precise and use words that really matter.
You don’t need more than one or two characters. By limiting your characters, you don’t have to waste words as tags. Focus on one main conflict; don’t try from a complicated plot. Start at the beginning of the conflict. Choose a powerful moment in a character’s life and place your story there.
1. 1.Start in the middle
2. 2. Don't use too many characters
3. 3. Make sure the ending isn't at the end
4. Your title, make it work
5. Leave the reader with something
6. 6. And try ending in a different emotional place than where you start
Reduce, condense, and write like a poet—lyrical, dense passages that grab the reader from the first sentence. Remember Hemingway’s famous iceberg dictum: only show the top 10 percent of your story, and leave the other 90 percent below water to be conjured.
Here are a couple online markets to submit your work: http://www.theguardian.com/books/flash-fridays-by-tin-house-magazine, http://nanofiction.org/submit, http://flashfictiononline.com/main/, or, check out http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?59234-INDEX-OF-FLASH-FICTION-MARKETS-Last-fully-verified-on-21st-February-2015 for a complete listing of markets paying for flash fiction stories.
Post a Comment